Saturday, October 3, 2009

Whale Watching

2nd October 2009

Regular readers of this blog will know that I spend a lot of time lying on the balcony with my nose pressed to the glass looking for whales or dolphins. The whales or dolphins are optional and I'm really just watching the sea.

I think it is possible that feelings, like brown eyes and HIV, can be passed between generations and that liking the sea is part of a race memory. We are now in the North Atlantic where the sea is colder and greyer. Here, before I was born, my father was a naval gunner on merchant convoys during the war. He was torpedoed and sunk three times. That sort of "Oh shit not again" experience can probably leave a dent in your genes.

For the next couple of days I'll be watching for the whales the Captain has promised. If, inadvertently, I start searching for periscopes, I will let you know.

Dave

p.s. I managed to get a picture of the ship that has been following us. I think it's one of those tall ships that do Duke of Edinburgh type sailing courses for young people. It's getting closer so I should soon be able to get a better view.


1 comment:

  1. When the ship catches you up please can you get a photo and autograph from Johnny Depp
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete